Here is a segment of a map dated 1894 of Ottawa, showing the area around the Ottawa Pumping station or "Water Works" where our whitewater course is located today. It is apparent that with the levelling of the area in the 1960's, that many streets and names disappeared. On April 19 1962, the 2,800 odd residents and property owners of the LeBreton Flats received a notice of expropriation, which started a deconstruction ending with the tear-down of the last building torn in 1965. The intention was to get rid of this area 'eyesore" so close to the Parliament Buildings and downtown area, however it laid dormant basically until after 2005 when the new War Museum was built and condo development started. Needless to say, those that were displaced lost a home , possibly a job and a neighbourhood and then watched as nothing happened for years.
Other things to note include Booth's rail line, built to move lumber out to U.S. markets, and the timber slide channel south of Victoria Island, of which you can see a photo in the lumbering section.
Below is how Ottawa looked, from south of LeBreton Flats, looking North towards the Gatineau Hills after the fire of 1900, which burned 40% of Hull and 20% of Ottawa. Hintonburg was spared due to the rail line firebreak The fire started in Hull and spread to Ottawa via the wooden bridge spanning the Chaudiere Falls. Reconstruction of many homes subsequently used brick over their wooden frames. The Parliament buildings were destroyed by fire later in 1916. Seven people died in the fire and 15,000 made homeless.
Below is a map of the extent of the fire of 1900. Also a view from the Chaudiere area towards parliament with the remnants of burned out railcars.
Copyright 2017 Ottawa River Runners. All rights reserved | Admin